From Zonophone2002  Sun Nov  2 21:59:36 2003
From: Zonophone2002 (zonophone2...@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 13:10:25 2006
Subject: [Phono-L] US $19,990.00 (Reserve met)

whoops i mean ryan
thanks
rob
From KEEPERH2O  Tue Nov  4 01:51:34 2003
From: KEEPERH2O (keeper...@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 13:10:25 2006

In a message dated 11/2/03 5:31:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chippendale...@aol.com writes:

> I know early Doo Wop records are highly sought after, but they, and other
> collectibles, can reach a price point where I can't help wondering if the
> money
> couldn't be put to better uses.
>
> Perhaps it is because I work with so many kids who have, in some cases, been
>
> hustling since they were 10 and 11 years old. Their parents are either MIA,
> or
> abusive addicts. It is not unusual to find a 14 or 15 year-old kid who has
> been supporting his younger brothers and sisters by doing the only things he
>
> knows how to do to make the money they need to survive.
>
> In this same country, we have people who can throw away $20,000, (or
> $30,000), to buy a 78 which contains, ironically, a type of music created,
> performed,
> and originally listened to primarily by poor black people.
>
> That is the view from my perspective, which is admittedly one few others
> have.

Oh, I share that view with you, Randy.  I remember being in Mexico and seeing
these fabulous houses surrounded by high walls to shut out the blatant
squalor all around them and thought it obscene and disgusting.  Now, I realize,
at
least it is honest.  (But still obscene and disgusting).

I understand that without an accumulation of wealth there is little or no
high art or culture, and that has to be its best justification, but when is
enough enough?  And when and where do we as individuals persuing our hobbies
and
passions cross some nebulous line and become obscene and disgusting people?

; )

Edward