  From: diamondisk...@aol.com<mailto:diamondisk...@aol.com>
  To: phono-l@oldcrank.org<mailto:phono-l@oldcrank.org>
  Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 7:55 PM
  Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Columbia AH question

  In a message dated 2/14/2005 1:01:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  tom...@msn.com<mailto:tom...@msn.com> writes:

  The gear  that drives the governor assembly looks to be made of some sort of
  a fibrous  material, somewhat orange in color.  Is it save to lubricate that
  material as you would a metal gear?

  I am going to take a cue from our politicians, (all of them), and  expound on
  a topic of which my knowledge is very limited. I am an Edison man.
  Therefore, I have no direct knowledge of fiber gears. However, I once read
an article
  about them which stuck in my memory. The article said that fiber  gears can
  wear out metal gears, because the fiber gears produce  abrasive particles as
  they wear. If you grease this pressed fiber gear,  those particles and the
grease
  will form an abrasive goo, which  will accelerate the wearing of the metal
  gear. I would think that greasing a  pressed fiber gear would accelerate that
  gear's deterioration  also.

  Now the real experts can answer your question properly.

  Randy