I tend to discount the fourth possibility based on my assumption that only
Victor contracted (a few) artists long-term (and Columbia had a few, like
Frank Crumit).  From what I understand, all the other labels hired
performers for a fee per record, no contract as we know it today (I remember
seeing a budget sheet from Edison that Jack Palmer was kind enough to send
me, with a list of performers, recording matrices, and fees paid for
services rendered -- but it is a somewhat distant memory, admittedly).  This
one-time-payment practice, plus the fear of radio taking the jobs of
performing artists both live and on record, was the impetus for the
formation of ASCAP (to which the formation of BMI was radio's answer).

I love a good mystery!  Wonder if we'll get to the bottom of this one,
however.

best,
r.