In a message dated 12/2/2006 6:53:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
est...@localnet.com writes:

Sorry if  I'm wrong, but it sounds like you might not be aware that recording
and  transcription discs were made on glass cores during the war, to save on
aluminium. Given an acetate coating the glass blanks functioned just as  well
as the metal cored ones but they were heavier, thicker, and of course  they
broke.

Now, in reality the government had plenty of aluminum  in stock, but
attention to scrimping and saving was good for morale and  kept people's
minds occupied.

Eric Stott

I agree with you, Eric.  Glass records were indeed produced during  WWII and
were coated.  I didn't know that the coating was acetate.  I  thought it might
be shellac.
In any case,  I have a piece of junk glass record that I picked up at  a
garage sale for maybe 50 cents.  I think I should put it up on eBay for  maybe
$50,000 and see who bites.  It's kind of like fishing, isn't  it?  All you need
is one fish!
---Art Heller