Hi Andy
  Sorry for the trauma, that's always sad to hear...I was interested in the key
escutcheons you mentioned - can you get me a picture of them? My A250 (SN
12080) has no escutcheons, but there is an outline around the keyhole for them
and they appear not to have any holes at top or bottom, but look like a simple
outline. I'd like to see what they should look like so I can get replacements.
  Thanks
  John

Andrew Baron <a...@popyrus.com> wrote:
  Hi All ~
I just acquired an Edison A-250, with the relatively low s.n. of
1429. This machine was given to me by its owner, who is moving to
Mexico and clearing out his storage here in Santa Fe. While out of
town some time back, he hired someone to move some of his things to a
storage unit, and the A-250 was moved carelessly (I should say
recklessly), either on its back or allowed to fall backward, with no
regard to securing anything under the lid.

As a result, the heavy motorboard assembly tipped out during transit,
swinging on its pivot pins with enough force to mash the turntable
into the underside of the lid. It's easy to reconstruct this event
by observing the gouged paint on the right surface of the motor board
(in the shape of the t.t. rim), and the bent spindle shaft. There's
corresponding damage to the underside of the lid that has ground
through the first thick layer of veneer.

Other damage includes the total destruction of the grill, missing
crank, and of course the reproducer has a sheared diamond, broken
link and bent limit pin. The upper part of the horn elbow was bent
to the side by the force of the motor board against it.
Miraculously, the cabinet on the whole was mostly spared, with no
dings at all to the vulnerable front pillars, and only superficial
damage to the finish. It appears that when it finally reached the
storage unit, it was probably dropped hard enough on its bottom to
shear off the left front caster along with the outer half of the
carved detail. Fortunately, although the grill and crank were
somehow lost, this broken portion of leg, which is about six inches
long, was not (lost), and all the rest of the carved details are
perfect.

I was fortunate in being able to make a clean repair of the leg last
night and the cabinet now looks and sits as it should, which makes me
very happy.

Here's my inquiry (I may have one or two more as I learn more):
Once I had it safely home, carefully cleaned and reconstructed (I
removed the motor board, surrounds, turntable and reproducer before
transporting), I noticed a few things that make this A-250 different
from my other A-250 that I've had for several years.

The most obvious difference (which I spotted when I first saw the
machine at the storage unit) is that the start/stop lever arrangement
is different from any I've seen: The turntable stop can be activated
to manually start as well as stop by a single lever with a round
knob; and the stop lever, though separate, is smaller than the one on
my later (s.n. 13417) A-250. Also, the stop lever is not adjustable
with the familiar lock-down screw under the turntable, and the
"finger" on the lift post is a separate piece, mounted with a snug
swivel, making it a user-adjustable stop (as opposed to a rigid
finger). This allows the user to easily preset the stop according to
the end of the playing area on each disc, if desired. All of this
hardware is gold-plated, and appears to be factory, so I assume its
an early, perhaps first, version of the D.D. control levers.

I'd love to know if any of you with more experience can tell me when
this lever arrangement was abandoned.

The other differences that I noticed during the cleaning are:
1) The keyhole trim is different from my later A-250, being nearly
flush and fitted within the millwork of the keyholes, as opposed to
being affixed to the surface only, with two small round-head gold
pins through round upper and lower rings, as found on the later machine.

2) The veneer on the sides is a richer grain, and in one piece (my
later A-250 has the side veneer in two sections).

3) The inside of the horn compartment has a high-class factory finish
which is as smooth and shiny as the drawer fronts and inside of the
door.

4) There are two pivoting oil hole covers in view (with the turntable
installed), whereas the later machine has one.

5) The veneer is noticeably thicker (based on chips at the bottom of
the back panel near the base of the machine).

All in all, this cabinet appears to be higher grade and I wonder if
it may have been produced by a different cabinet maker. I'm not
aware of any documented cabinet cheapening as early as the (possibly)
November-December 1914 origin of my newer A-250, but clearly the one
just acquired appears to be superior.

This find excites me, as I've had a passion for the Edison Disc
machines since I was 12 (I'm 45 now), and am especially fascinated by
their early development and introduction. I would love to know more
about whether any of you have noticed these comparative details, and
whether its possible to date this machine by these details. As near
as I can tell, this would be a late 1912 - early 1913 machine?
According to Frow, the first requisition of the A-250 numbered some
3,600 (Frow Chapter 2 "Early Days", footnote 28). This would make my
new A-250, s.n. 1429, part of this first order?

Any and all insights would be most welcome.

Best regards to all,
Andy Baron