Hello everyone and my HEARTFELT APPRECIATION for what has been
provided thus far.  To make it easier to keep track of a number of
common variations in these fascinating and someone obscure early
machines, I've put some time into developing a questionnaire that can
be filled out and emailed to the group (see below).

Note that there are a number of questions pertaining to the grill,
which I've added for the benefit of Brian Krapes who is reproducing
quality grilles for a number of Edison Disc Phonographs.

Submissions can be anonymous.  The point is to add to the relatively
sparse documentation of the variations found on these first-
generation Edison Disc machines, so that we can all gain a better
understanding of how specific examples of these models fit the
overall picture of the earliest offerings sold to the public.  With
luck, serial numbers, dataplate dates and printed form dates may
point to trends or even dates of manufacture, when compared to the
features listed.

An example of this is that my A-250 serial number SM-13417 can be
dated to November to early December 1914, a narrow window of time of
approximately 5 weeks, 93 years ago, because it has the tone
modulator, which Frow indicates was begun during November 1914, and
we know that the Edison Phonograph Works burned on December 9, 1914.
As a result, we can establish that the serial numbers for A-250's in
the late winter of 1914 were in the 13,000's.  I realize that this
isn't the most scientific approach, but with enough data from
collectors we can attempt to fill the gaps.

Please feel free to add information on A-60, A-80, A-150, A-200, as
well as A-250 and higher priced models.  The first line is for the
model number.

I'll post my own answers to the official questionnaire shortly for my
two A-250's and my A-200.

Best regards to all,
Andy Baron

To see early vs. late details, Refer to photos posted on: http://
homepage.mac.com/pjfraser/phono/PhotoAlbum233.html

Directions from Peter Fraser on accessing these photos:
the password is "pook2e" (no quotes).

For large-scale versions of the pix, use the slideshow button, or
single-click the individual shot in which you're interested.

THE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1) Model number: (A-80, A-200, A-250, etc.):
1a) Serial number: (SM-_____);
1b) Serial number stamped on bedplate, under platter, if different:
(_____ A1);
2) Type of start/stop levers: (Early / Late - non adjustable stop
position);
3) Bedplate corner detail: (Early / Late);
4) Number of pivoting oil hole covers on bedplate: (1 or 2);
5) Tone modulator Present? (yes / no);
6) Type of key escutcheon: (Without nail holes / with nail holes -
surface mount);
7) Depth inside the upper groove that accommodates top of grill:
(1/4? / 1/2? or other);
7a) Tongue present at grill top & bottom, or is grill top & bottom
width 3/4? smooth?;
7b) Thickness of fretwork portion of grill: (1/4? / 5/16? / 3/8? /
other - please provide);
7c) Overall height of outer grill frame: (13 3/4?, 13 7/8?, other -
please provide);
8) Louvres on cabinet as per Amberola A-1? (yes / no);
9) Side veneer, number of sections per side: (1 or 2);
10) Form 632 present? (yes / no);
10a) Location of Form 632: (inside of back door / floor of horn
compartment / other);
10b) Printer?s date at bottom of Form 632: (none / 11-20-12 /
8-20-14 / other - please provide);
11) Latest patent date on dataplate: ( 8-26-11 / 3-11-13 / other -
please provide);
12 Other notes: (Any additional information of interest);
13) Owner (optional):