From a...@popyrus.com  Sun Aug 26 21:10:23 2007
From: a...@popyrus.com (Andrew Baron)
Date: Sun Aug 26 21:23:45 2007
Subject: [Phono-L] Official A-250 Questionnaire directions, update 8-26-07

In answer to inquiries, and for your convenience, here is the updated
questionnaire with directions for filling it out.
Thank you, each and every one who continues to contribute to this
database.  I'll continue to post updates with the actual cumulative
data, as well as summaries of what I've learned from comparing this
information.
Andy Baron
Santa Fe, NM

QUESTIONNAIRE -- Please mail or email results to: a...@popyrus.com
(note spelling of popyrus is not conventional).

Edison A-250 Search for differences in details, and study to
determine approximate time of manufacture.

  To see early vs. late details, Refer to photos posted on: http://
homepage.mac.com/pjfraser/phono/PhotoAlbum233.html
Directions from Peter Fraser on accessing these photos:
the password is "pook2e" (no quotes).

To see details of John D. Robles? A-250, refer to   http://
s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/john9ten/Edison%20A-250/

DIRECTIONS FOR FILLING OUT QUESTIONNAIRE:
Type your machine?s serial number(s) after the word ?Serial #? only
on the detail that matches your machine, leave the detail that
doesn?t apply blank.  For example, if your machine is serial number
13417, and it has the late style Start/stop levers:

2) Start/stop levers style:
EARLY: Serial #
LATE: Serial #13417

If the motor board has a different serial number than the dataplate
on the cabinet, please list results for specific motor and motor
board details under the motor board serial number (found under
platter).  For question 5 (tone modulator), if your machine has
different serial numbers, please include both and indicate which is
which, for example:
Serial #12033 (bedplate), #13417(dataplate).

All other results should be listed under the dataplate number.

Note that Motor board serial numbers are listed without their A1
suffix, and Cabinet (dataplate) numbers are listed without their SM
prefix.

1) Model number:  A-250
1a) Serial number: SM-______
1b) Serial number stamped on bedplate, under platter, if different:
_____ A1

2) Start/stop levers style:
EARLY: Serial #:
LATE: Serial #:

3) Bedplate corner detail:
EARLY: Serial #:
MIDDLE (Similar to early but dots in different place): Serial #:
LATE: Serial #:

4) # of PIVOTING oil hole covers on bedplate:
TWO: Serial #:
ONE: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate number of PIVOTING covers): Serial#:

5) Tone modulator present?:
NO: Serial #:
YES: Serial #:

6) Key escutcheon style:
FLUSH MOUNT EMBEDDED: Serial #:
SURFACE MOUNT WITH TWO GOLD TRIM NAILS: Serial #:

7) Depth of upper grille groove:
1/4 INCH: Serial #:
1/2 INCH: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate measurement): Serial #

7b) Grille fretwork thickness:
5/16 INCH: Serial #:
1/4 INCH: Serial #:
3/8 INCH: Serial #:
OTHER: Serial #:

7c) Overall height of grill frame:
13 3/4 INCH: Serial #:
13 7/8 INCH: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate measurement): Serial #:

8) Louvres on cabinet as per Amberola 1A?
YES: Serial #:
NO: Serial #:

9) Side veneer number of sections per panel:
ONE: Serial #:
TWO: Serial #:
THREE: Serial #:

10) Form 632 present?
NO: Serial #:
YES: Serial #:

10a) Location of Form 632:
INSIDE BACK DOOR (upside down when closed): Serial #:
FLOOR OF HORN COMPARTMENT: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate location): Serial #:

10b) Printer?s date at bottom of Form 632:
11-20-12: Serial #:
4-3-14: Serial #:
8-20-14: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate date printed on bottom of form): Serial #:

11) Latest patent date on dataplate:
8-29-11: Serial #:
3-11-13: Serial #:
OTHER (indicate latest patent date): Serial #:

12) Other notes:
(Please add any unusual or undocumented details of your machine after
?a? below):
a) There may be a second paper measuring 2 1/2 x 1 1/8, printed with
?No:____, Disc Phonograph, Model A-250? affixed to the floor of horn
compartment by two tacks. Serial #
b)
c)
d)

13) Owner (optional):
Serial #:

14) Direction of winding gear teeth in relation to crank:
STRAIGHT: Serial #:
ANGLED: Serial #:

15) Oil tubes present at winding stem bushings? (this is a tube pair
from a single cup):
NO: Serial #:
YES: Serial #:

16) Serial number (matching or otherwise) stamped in motor frame? -
Please also indicate if different from other serial numbers.
NO: Serial #:
YES: Bedplate Serial #:______; Motor frame serial number (if
different): #_______.

17) Evidence of original grille cloth, and color?
NO: Serial #:
YES: Serial #:
Color:

18) Cabinet finish (may add more specifics later):
Red mahogany: Serial #:
Dark mahogany: Serial #:
Oak: Serial #:
Other: Serial#:

19) Number of mainsprings (Frow indicates earliest production may
have had single-spring motors).  Spring barrels are visible if you
remove the grille and peer into the motor compartment by looking in
the upper r.h. corner.  A flashlight helps.  The spring closest to
the winding crank will be more visible.
One: Serial #:
Two: Serial #: