From deedeebl...@yahoo.com  Mon Sep  3 18:25:17 2007
From: deedeebl...@yahoo.com (DeeDee Blais)
Date: Mon Sep  3 18:28:17 2007
Subject: [Phono-L] Mystery

I bought a Vic O from long time collector and dear
friend, John Davis, a couple of months ago.  John
purchased the machine about fifteen years ago from an
elderly gentleman that remembered his parents bringing
it home as a new machine.  When John offered it to me,
I gave it a quick examination and realized that I was
looking at a superb example of a Vic O so I bought it.
 I did notice that there was absolutely no indication
or traces of the maroon accent that is commonly found
on Vic O horns.  I assumed that some amber Vic O horns
were not accented with the maroon trim.  I didn't give
it much more thought until I recently removed the
black painted elbow to wax the horn and it's maroon
under the elbow!  Any thoughts?  I thought that
perhaps the maroon accent was removed from a prior
waxing or cleaning but you would expect to find maroon
coloration in the seams of the horn. I found no old
wax or any trace of maroon paint in the seams.  Next,
I wondered if sunlight obliterated a possible light
coat of maroon paint.  If that were true, I expected
to see traces of paint at least in the underside seams
but once again, nothing.  Next, I wondered if a
solvent was used to remove the maroon paint but the
original decals are in good shape and have not
suffered from something strong enough to remove paint.
 Why would there be maroon paint under the elbow and
nowhere else?  What am I missing?  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jerry Blais

Got a little couch potato?

I don't think the maroon or red accent used on Vic O horns was paint, but
rather some type of dye color which readily fades possibly over time when
exposed to the air.  I have a friend with a beautiful Vic O, nice original
paint on horn, but missing the maroon trim also.  Perhaps it's maroon under
the elbow because that part was protected from the air.  Just a guess.
Ray