Why would oil "ruin" the phonograph?   Is it an issue of uneven wear with
dissimilar materials?

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: phono-l-bounces at oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Rich
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] AB's and gear oiling

You do not oil gears except in special cases.  Many people are not
swayed by sound engineering practices and proceed to ruin good
phonographs. Clocks have brass meshed with steel and so do most
phonographs.  IF you find similar materials meshed with each other then
an extremely light coat is beneficial.  Use a synthetic oil or a clock
oil.  The 3 in 1 oil is crap.