The pleats could be different. On the other hand I was also told
about multiple designs that were implements over a very short time period.

Here is a picture comparing an American Columbia diaphragm in a 15A
reproducer to the discussed type:

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8905lx6.jpg

There are no attachment areas for any spider on that diaphragm. It is
just the inner (thicker) dome which is bent through the outer
diaphragm and is sealed on three spots with a drop of wax. At least
this one should play way better than any available reproduction.

Norman