From: valecnik57-p...@yahoo.com
To: phono-l at oldcrank.org
Sent: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 4:33 am
Subject: [Phono-L] Amberola 1A, 1B

Greg, George,

I have an A300 diamond disc in walnut?with?the following characteristics:
- Pooly cabinet (I assume) with split hoof
- about 2 inches shorter than standard A20/A300? (but same height as my 1A, 1B)
- with three louvres on each side
- same amount of space for record compartment as 1A,? but 2 drawers, top drawer
for 10inch bottom drawer for 12 inch records, a few 10 inch records catch on
the
top of the compartment as you open/close the door.? Its that tight.
- 12" edison advertising record will barely fit in the 12" compartment, (I only
have one to test it)
- individual wood dividers between each record in the drawers
- top of the cabinet cut down about 1/2 inch on crank side (where record cut
out
would be on a 1A) and wood replaced.?Appears to be factory?refit to elimiinate
the record cut out.? Barlely visible difference in grain with light checking
over whole surface
- Holes drilled in the inside of the cabinet to mount an Amberola 1 motor,
clean, appears no motor was ever in there
Appears that this cabinet was intended for a 1A mechanism but then retrofitted
for a DD mechanism.? I wrote Mr. Frow a letter several years ago and he
suggested this was likely the case.

Although this is not exactly related to your discussion on the 1A, 1B, I
thought
it might be an interesting digression.?

Bruce J