Steve, it's not readily possible to compare the 1A and 1B horns with any
others because of the unique fittings that they employ on the machines.
Even so, there was no other horn shaped like the 1A & 1B horns which
probably has the MOST to do with their sound.  In other words, you would
have to make a wood horn with the same unique shape as the 1A horn to
properly compare the effects attributable to the construction materials.
But I would imagine that the two materials would sound rather similar since
wood is a more intrinsically damped material than metal and is similar in
damping to the jute construction of the 1A horn.
Also, a solid wood horn would have different damping from that of a plywood
construction.  But overall, I would agree that I like the metal horns the
least of all the constructions because of their poor damping.  This could be
improved by overlaying the outside of the horn with some plaster or other
material which would add mass and damp the metallic ringing.  I have heard
of people actually doing this with a Credenza.  Even though these are wood
horns which are already pretty well damped, some people believe that filling
the volume between the horn and the cabinet sides with CONCRETE !!!  makes
them sound better.  Good grief, the beast weighs enough as it is.  Who needs
to add another several hundred pounds of stone just to damp the wood horn a
little better?  Oh well, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer cherce.

Greg Bogantz