Use Firefox.

From drgr...@msn.com  Sat Nov 15 19:23:48 2008
From: drgr...@msn.com (gregory caringi)
Date: Sat Nov 15 19:24:15 2008
Subject: [Phono-L] The Record Disc Corp.

Although this may be a little off-topic, I recently came into possession of
a cache of old recordings made by my uncle in 1946.  These are
transcriptions of the voices of my family 62 years ago.  Pretty cool.  He
also recorded some radio programs including a game between the Yankees & the
Brooklyn Dodgers.

In addition to The Record Disc Corp., there are also transcription
recordings on National Recording Disc, Melodisc, Century Radio Co., The
Recordisc Corp., Philco Safety Record, and the Wilcox-Gay Corp.  Some are
recorded at 78 rpm, but most are 33 1/3.

In addition to getting more information about this whole recording process,
I need to solve a problem.  The discs are recorded on different substrates.
Paper, aluminum, and some type of magnetic iron or steel.  The most valuable
recordings are on the magnetic steel records.

In addition to my many victrolas, I have two fully functional turntables
with modern magnetic cartridges.  I cannot play the discs.  The cartridge
gets sucked flat onto the steel records, compressing the cantilever & stylus
by magnetic attraction.

So.  How do I play these recordings?  My only solution is to find an old
record player with an inexpensive crystal cartridge.  Any other ideas?  Any
insight into this process is greatly appreciated.