From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of gpaul2...@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:57 PM
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Dr. Philip Peterson

 Jay,

The fact that you invoked the word "infamous" suggests that you know something
of the man...  It's a tragic story (and I'm unaware of many details that others
can supply), but the story is basically this:  Dr. Philip Peterson was a
professor at Stanford University, and during the late 1960s and 1970s
contributed some first-class research to the field of antique phonographs and
records.  Most of his contributions  - at least those of which I'm aware - were
published in the Antique Phonograph Collectors Society Newsletter/Journal.
This organization and its publication ceased existence around 1977.

I started visiting the Edison National Historic Site in West Orange, New Jersey
in 1978.  My interest was research, and the staff there at the time were most
accommodating.  I made advance arrangements, and upon arrival, was shown to the
underground vaults.  A pile of notebooks had been usually been gathered for me,
and I had basically free rein of the place.  I remember a moment during my
first visit when it occurred to me that the handwriting I was reading in the
notebooks looked somewhat familiar. As a staffer passed by, I asked who had
made the notations I was reading.  The answer was "Oh - that's the 'Old Man.'"
I was taken aback.  Who was I to be leafing through these historic documents
without protective gloves, and without supervision?  I spent many hours in the
vaults wading through literally mountains of information, rare white wax
cylinders,20and experimental records (such as a glass based cylinder).  Any
documents I wanted copied were cheerfully done for I believe 10 cents each.
Each time I left the Site, I shook hands with the staffers and thanked them for
their help.  And it occurred to me every time I walked out unsearched that
security was pretty lax.  Unfortunately, it also occurred to Dr. Philip
Peterson - - and not-so-coincidentally Dr. Peterson began holding mail auctions
of outstanding Edison ephemera - - most of it consisting of rare and early
documents...

Around 1985, the Site sent out a mass appeal to collectors.  They were missing
documents, many of which matched the descriptions offered by Dr. Peterson in
his mail auctions.  Anyone who knew the whereabouts of these artifacts was
encouraged to contact the Site or the FBI.  Dr. Peterson was convicted of
stealing a multitude of artifacts from the Site, and ultimately served some
time in prison.  He passed away not long after he was released, but I don't
know when that occurred.  Meanwhile, some VERY honest collectors returned some
of the stolen property to the Site - - and swallowed the substantial loss they
incurred.  I'm afraid that's the only bright spot in the whole sad story.  Many
of the documents were never recovered, and Dr. Peterson was found to have
destroyed a number of documents by cutting Edison's signature from them and
selling only the signature - - an untraceable crime.

So, a man who could have been remembered
today as the excellent researcher he was, and a contributor to our hobby,
instead stole from the Site, cheated collectors by selling them stolen
property, and permanently erased a portion of Edison history through the
destruction of documents in an unsuccessful effort to cover his tracks.
Tragedy upon tragedy.

Needless to say, security at the Site has dramatically improved.

George Paul