Oh, the thump is gone, thankfully.

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Houston
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:37 AM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: RE: [Phono-L] 4 spring credenza motor problem

What  I was thinking was that when you're packing the spring in the barrel,
it can be started either clockwise, or counterclockwise, depending on
whether it's the winding nend, where the winding gear is, or where it's the
driving end, which attaches to the drive gear.  (there must be a better way
to say it), but I had wondered if one of the springs could have been
started in the wrong direction. If that were done, it might have some funny
behavior, or possibly, the motor could not be wound at all. And too,
packing directions with a 4 spring motor could give you some strange
effects if one spring was inserted in reverse. ?????

The "Victor thump" is enough of an annoyance,without having the motor not
working properly!

On
> Behalf Of Douglas Houston
> Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:05 AM
> To: Antique Phonograph List
> Subject: RE: [Phono-L] 4 spring credenza motor problem
>
> This is a sticky one. I have a long shot thought. Victor has a procedure
in
> the service notes, that tells you whichn spring to load in the barrel, and
> its direction of winding.Is it possible that one of the springs could have
> nbeen installed in reverse? I'm not even sure if the motor could be nwound
> if that were done, but as I've said, it's a long shot.
>
> I have one of those 4 spring jobs apart now, and I've got to study the
> thing a lot before I re-pack the springs.
>
> (Maybe if you got one of those electric Credenzas like I have, you
wouldn't
> have this mess!!!!)
>
> Cheers
>
> Doug. Houston