I just got a cylinder I won on eBay (Edison 9100, Bob Roberts' Everybody Works But Father) to replace mine that cracked. It was advertised as in excellent + condition, and as I pulled it out of its sleeve it looked like it was. But as I turned it to examine it closely, I found a strange, almost patterned number of deep circular pits among the grooves. I'm afraid to play it in case the stylus catches in these holes and gets ripped out. I'm attaching a picture.

I would appreciate advice (as well as any information on how these holes could have formed -- I'm not an experienced collector, but I've never seen anything like them before).

Many thanks,

Chris