According to the book "Edison Diamond Disc Re-creations, Records & Artists, 1910-1929" obtained from Tim Gracyk's website, the DD #50067 is indicated to have been coupled (R and L sides selected) on July 21, 1913 and listed in the catalog in August 1913. The selection was cut out of the catalog on December 6, 1916. There is no indication that this disc was unreleased. There is only one matrix number listed for the R side as #1250 "On the Road to Mandalay" by Thomas Chalmers & Chorus. The L side matrix is #1105 "Danny Deever" by Marcus Kellerman. No other matrix numbers or artists are shown for this selection.

Greg Bogantz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn Longwell" <majesticrec...@snet.net>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:39 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Unreleased Diamond Disc?

This list has been helpful before in my finds of Diamond Discs. This time the story has a twist. A colleague of mine's ancestor (I think great Uncle) was Marcus Kellerman, a baritone. Here's a little bit of info on him (http://sdrcdata.lib.uiowa.edu/libsdrc/details.jsp?id=/kellerman/3&page=1&ui=1). We found a copy of a cylinder he did, Danny Deever, on the UCSB website, an Amberol from 1911, number 682. In the documentation I have it shows that he also sang this song on Diamond Disc, 50067, with matrices 1105-A, B and C in June 1912. All were shown as rejected. So I assumed this was never released commercially.

However, what I found was 50067 with matrix number 1105-5. Unfortunately, in this small collection I saw this is the only disc I brought home because I knew that Danny Deever was sung by Kellerman (there was another version sung by Arthur Middleton) and was hoping this was the one by Kellerman for my friend. If not for that I wouldn't have bought it because most of the records, including this one, had lam cracks. Having a number for the matrix makes it a quite interesting find.

My question is whether this record 50067 with Kellerman's version of Danny Deever ever released commercially. I know there are people on this list with the right Edison books to probably tell this. I'm not sure how accurate my information is.

If it truly wasn't released the rest of the records might be of similar nature - perhaps another dealer stash find. There were probably 10-12 of them and didn't really take a closer look because of the lam cracks on them.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn