Hello all ~

A few of you know that I'm a "Paper Engineer". I'll be traveling to China (yes, the land of the modern "Crap-o-phone"), having nothing to do with phonographs but to provide oversight and QC for the fall printing of my current pop-up book.

I use a very high-end printer, the best of only about five printers (all are in the Far East) that print and assemble pop-up books for the world-wide market. Although its facilities are in China, this company is Japanese-owned and has a superb quality standard.

I have long thought that I should use my printer contacts in China, to quote on the cost of manufacturing reproduction 10", ten or twelve- sleeve albums. Up until now I've pictured this being a generic version; perhaps maroon cloth-bound, with the gold-foil stamping "Records" on the spine and cover, and possibly including a letter (A, B, C, D, E, etc.), or the more conventional paper-laminated board cover versions, if cost for the higher-class version is prohibitive.

I've thought about having them actually recreate the Victor albums, either the early ones (like what was used in the L-door XVI), or the later semi-gloss Orthophonic era albums. An embossing die would need to be made for the Nipper logo, leather-grain pattern if the later style, etc.

Which brings me to the point: Does anyone here know the current ownership status of the famous trademark?

Also, if any of you have comments on what you might like in such an album, even a generic style, I welcome them. Any need for 12" albums? Ten or twelve sleeves? Index? Removable vellum style insert on the spine for writing a few words about what's inside? Green paper or brown, archival paper, pull style, etc. Other ideas?

Most importantly, what would people be interested in paying for freshly made 10" albums (either generic or accurate reproduction), and in general how many albums are likely to be ordered by individual collectors?

Unfortunately, the minimum order quantity would be quite high (not less than a few thousand of each type) so there would be a sizable initial investment. I don't know for certain that I would proceed with this idea, but the printer I use is nicely set up for mill-board die-cutting and hand assembly, and with my existing travels to China on book business in general and my ability to provide the necessary QC, they would be the logical choice for such a project.

If there isn't much of a response, I probably won't pursue it further. If any of you are in the phonograph parts supply business, feel free to let me know. If higher quantities can be handled (such as a couple hundred order at a time), I'm sure quantity discounts or wholesale prices can apply if there's enough margin to cover my time to begin with.

Best,
Andy Baron
Santa Fe