HI ALL
I KNOW EDISON PUT THE SERIAL NUMBER UNDER THE IDELIA NAME PLATE
GLAD TO KNOW ITS UNDER ALL

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Medved <steve_nor...@msn.com>
To: Phono-l <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Mon, Nov 8, 2010 9:45 pm
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Vandalism

Each Edison reproducer has its own serial number.  The B D CHK and the small
tops shared serial numbers, the R and S shared serial numbers, the O and N
shared serial numbers.  The N-56 can be found with both R&S and O&N serial
numbers.  The DD reproducers all have serial numbers, they started out with
just
numbers and ran through F.

I saw a home on eBay with the serial number drilled off, I wonder if they knew
the serial number is also under the ID plate?

Edison DD reproducers have letters before the serial numbers some are codes:

On the regular reproducer Edison started out with numbers and worked his way up
and then started over with A and he got clear up to the letter F.  On the
regular DD you will note numbers & A to F on the standard DD reproducer.  With
the DD reproducers the letter designations appear to have been changed when he
made changes or improvements to the reproducers.  Except for in the A series
when the when the dome of the cup was made thicker resulting in about a 2 oz.
weight increase and the elimination of the inner sleeve these changes are not
readily noticeable visually, but the later ones have better sound.

NS after the serial number is an Edisonic 7960 NS is an example of this.
NS after the serial number beginning with letter is a Converted Edisonic F88690
NS is an example of this. You could trade in a regular reproducer with $6.75
and
save $12.75 on an Edisonic that normally cost $19.50; Edison then modified the
head with a larger limit loop and installed the heavy weight and thicker
diaphragm on it.  The standard diaphragm varies between .009 and .011; the
Edisonic is more consistent around .0125.  The cheap yellow notebook paper is
.003, common white paper is .005.

LG is long play LonG
EM is one with Duncan stop Electric Model
LD is the Dance Loud Dance
NS stands for New Standard.

Each phonograph and reproducer had a serial number, when the model O came out
it
was two days wages and Edison was serious about keeping track and control of
his
products mainly to protect his patents.

With regards to DD serial numbers, 947, a copper oxidized is the earliest
serial
number I have seen, F80885 in the gun metal or antique finish is the latest and
it was converted to an Edisonic so the serial number is F80885 NS.  I have seen
three Dance reproducers that were converted to the New Standard they have
serial
numbers like LD 9838 NS, LD 9476  NS,  and did not have the small spring or the
cross bar it was connected to above the reproducer’s cup.  I have seen two with
the Duncan stop that have been converted with serial numbers like EM 8497 NS.

> Do you have the Serial numbers or some other identifying marks on those items
that were stolen. So if they show up on Craigslist or Ebay, we can trap those
the sleazy Crooks that made off with the Reproducers ??