>>>Are you using a particular software that's geared for cataloguing, or
>>>standard applications like Word or Excel?

---------------------

Andy,

When I started out with this data base, I was using Appleworks. :-)
That  was back in 1983.  I have since moved on into the PC world and in the
early 1990's I converted the entire database to MS Works.  Over the years I've
saved it to the newer versions of Work.  Just their plain old data base.

I set up columns for Item, Serial number or Record number, Description, Photo
number(s), Price paid, Name of seller, Email of seller, Address, Phone number
(when available).

In the photo column, I use this column to list the photo number.

For example, with an Edison Standard A , I have taken several pics of it.  I
name the pics CM 1, CM2, CM3, etc.  "CM" standing for cylinder machine.  You
can use your own codes, or you can just use numbers alone.  I've saved these to
a picture file.

Most importantly, I save these files on several different USB pocket drives.
Backing up is a MUST.

Yes, I know that there ARE programs you can buy that can do
this.....but........not everyone has these programs, and if you are visiting a
collector or friend, you can just take out your pocket drive from your wallet
and show it on their computer.

Hope this helps someone.

Dennis