Thank you Norman, I found this very informative!
John

--- On Fri, 12/31/10, Norman Bruderhofer <phonol...@cylinder.de> wrote:

From: Norman Bruderhofer <phonol...@cylinder.de>
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] best way to store wax cylinders?
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 2:28 AM

Normally, I would say it's okay to keep them in the old boxes as long as these
are in decent shape. A proper ventilation is the most important thing to avoid
any impounded humidity. Many European boxes have the problem that the lids
close pretty tightly. In this case I would recommend to keep them open.
I do make an exception with my most valuable cylinders which I keep in
acid-free archival boxes. However, these boxes are way too expensive to have
all my cylinders stored that way.

I know of two different sources for archival boxes: Rigid Paper Tube, NJ &
Hollinger Metal Edge, CA

http://www.ridgidpapertube.com/
Deep link: http://www.ridgidpapertube.com/archive2.html

http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/
Deep link: http://tinyurl.com/3x8hypy

When I bought the RPT boxes they were significantly cheaper while those from
Hollinger are more expensive but also more costly produced. But be prepared to
pay at least $6-8 for one box.

The RPT boxes simply have two plasic caps, one glued to the bottom. The bottom
cap also holds the inner peg which is made from acid-free cardboard like the
outer one.
The RPT boxes do all have a drilled hole in the outer wall to prevent
air-tightness. One problem I had was that the glue of the bottom cap was very
easy to detach and I cautiously reglued all of them with a stronger glue. You
cartainly do not want to have your most precious cylinders to fall out of the
box that way.

The HME boxes are square-shaped and have, as the names claims, metal edges. The
inside is made from a relativly stiff PP foam (whith no containing softeners)
with a foam bottom and peg. These boxes however, do not come with a hole and
are pretty air-tight. Therefore, I had to drill a hole by myself into each of
these boxes at on of the lower side edges.
Another problem with most of the HME boxes I have is, that the lids do close so
tightly that it is not easy to open these boxes. And of course, I have to be
extra careful with the content...

In general, both box types are for storage only and not suitable for
transportation or mailing. The HME boxes can be prepared for transportation
with carefully adding some non-woven soft pads to prevent the cylinder from
rattling.

Best, Norman

On 23.12.2010 16:11, Ron Cowen wrote:
> I should know this but what are some of the best ways to store wax
> cylinders, aside from good temperature control? Is it OK if they are in
> their cylinder boxes? And if I am putting them all in some large storage
> box, is it OK if it's plastic, and should the large storage box not have
> a lid, because that might trap moisture? Are there some kind of archival
> storage boxes that are preferable and what type are they and what might
> be a source?
> Thanks,
> Ron
> Silver Spring, MD

-- Sent from my Thunderbird OpenSource Mail Client