Ron: The rubber cup is a friction fit into a concave depression needle
cup (applied metal cup?).  Any that I have seen is not round on the top rim
but elongated so that the reproducer will be cradled securely while the
machine is moved.  On the outside edge of the rubber cup is a depression w/
small center hole to allow the disposal of used needles.  They fall through
and collect under the rubber cup in the metal needle cup onto which the
rubber cup is attached.

I have a picture I can send to your personal address to verify that we are
talking about the same thing.

Issues I wonder about:
1. Was the rubber cup originally round rather than elongated?
2. Have you tried soaking your nice but hardened example in brake fluid?
That liquid has worked wonders on hardened rubber parts from my old cars and
electric fans.
3. If someone wanted to reproduce this item (at high mold making cost),
would there be a market for it knowing that it would cost about as much as
the whole machine is worth?

Regards,
GrnMountain Bill