From: Jack Whelan <jackwhe...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Dealers (Not) taking advantance of collectors
To: "Phono-L" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 12:35 PM

I disagree
with the generalized statement about “Dealers taking advantage of collectors”.

It’s ok to
accuse, but to say “.. there may have been a few…”  to form a cartel to take
advantage of
collectors”, should be substantiated.
What evidence do you have?  This
is not a fair statement and it’s still unfair if you say I don’t think so….

I think that
bitter taste described from a big time parts dealer in California (wow, a very
large net) has caused some loss of objectivity here.  It’s not fair and
reasonable to describe one
bad incident (for whatever reason) and assume others in the dealer group behave
that way.

We should think
about eBay in a more objective way too.
First, I think trading on eBay like any other trading venue has risks
and rewards.  I’m reminded of the old
adage about low prices:

 “The bitterness of poor __________ (fill in
the product, service, quality) remains long after the sweetness of low price is
forgotten”.

If I
legitimate phonograph dealer is selling on eBay, if you choose to do business
with him/her chances are you’ll be treated better and get a better value.  He
may in fact require a minimum price as he
has to allow not only for his product cost, but inventory risk, assumed
warranty or customer satisfaction risk, gross profit, taxes and other costs of
doing business, in some cases some level of overhead, even if working out of
his house.  I think eBay’s low prices often
show the big difference (risk/reward) of buying from an opportunistic seller
rather than established dealer with staying power.  Unfortunately, for some
dealers, they’ve had
to sell some inventory to get much needed cash in this weakened economy.
Fortunate for collectors, this could be
shaping up to be a very long “buyer’s market”.

I don’t
understand why our phonograph dealers get beat up so frequently.  Are we
becoming more cynical?  My experience 99% of the time has been
positive.  I’m amazed to watch dealers as
recent as the Orlando show this week, have to put up with ‘the public’ or
collectors that will pick a dealer’s brain for free information, valuable
experience, years of knowledge, then dicker with him over a couple of
bucks.  I’m glad I’m not a dealer because
I couldn’t stay positive and happy dealing with some of ungrateful, who say, I
can get it cheaper, or your prices are out of line, or I can make or buy that
myself for a lot less.  If you don’t want
to buy, be polite and just walk away and don’t forget to say thank you as it’s
good manners and at least you’re giving something back to the dealer that
incurred the cost of attending the show.

How bad is
it?  Pretty bad.  The Orlando Phonograph Show organizers have
for years encouraged collectors to attend the informal, free “Dealer swap” in
the parking lot on Friday. I think this is as much fun as the show on Saturday.
 Now the numbers of people attending the
free show (to save a very small $8.00) is growing and taking away from the much
needed income from the Saturday show.

This isn’t
meant to be a “let’s stick up for dealers” message.  And it's aimed back at
anyone on this board.  We need to seriously examine our own behavior
in this fun phono-centric hobby.

I’ve been a
long time collector, researcher, restorer, with a focus on the fun of the
hobby.  Overall, I’ve benefitted from some financial gains and
losses although that hasn’t been my focus.
As they say in Las Vegas, you’re losses are what you pay for the fun and
entertainment.   We can include the benefit of knowledge about a very wide
variety of subjects (music, mechanical, wood finishing, electrical, technology,
history and much more) and some very good friends!

Going
forward, we shouldn’t use such a broad brush to paint phonograph dealers in
such a negative light.   When clubs, museums, or other entities that
use conduct some level of fundraising, it seems that the dealers are the first
to quietly step and donate.  We need a strong dealer base in this hobby.  I'd
rather pay a dealer a fair price, even pay a premium for his "value added" to
help them stay in business.  Now, go find
a phonograph dealer and give her/him a BIG HUG!
Jack