Hello Sean,

You are correct, the No 4 was made to allow people who could not afford a new
machine to play electrical records.  The first nickel and gold plated ones are
made of brass, the later No 4 "A" 's are pot metal.  Some of the 4 "A" 's have
a No 2 mica in an aluminum reducer.

The HMV 4 first came in all brass, the second version has a brass front and a
pot metal back, the final version is pot metal on the front and back.  The two
differences in the HMV and the No 4, the HMV does not have the lines in the
body and the HMV does not have the thin area under the base of the needle bar
so it is not prone to breaking in half like the pot metal Victor will.  The No
4 was found on suitcase and table models.  The HMV pot metal is much more
stable.

The first style of pot metal No 4 has the small round castings that hold the
needle bar sleeve bearings or pivots, it looks like they used the brass molds
to make them.  The later ones are larger and flat on the back.

If anyone want to see any photos of the scan of the only brochure I have ever
seen offering the Nickel plated one for $5 or the gold for $6 I will be happy
to send them an e-mail.  The brochure basically says what the box does.

The Exhibition "A" is also pot metal.  The pot metal Victor reproducers are not
stable until the time when the suitcase models came out.

If you read the box the No 4 "A" came in it says:

The Victrola No 4 Sound Box was designed and perfected for use with old style
Victrolas manufactured by the Victor Company prior to August, 1925.  This sound
box will immeasurably improve the tonal quality of old Victrolas; but it should
not be confused with the New Orthophonic Victrola and the principle of "matched
impedance" (controlled by the Victor Company) which has so completely
revolutionized the art of reproducing sound.

This sound box on your old-style Victrola will greatly increase your enjoyment
of the new Orthophonic Record.  But be sure to hear the new Orthophonic Record
played on the new Orthophonic Victrola, which represents the ultimate in
musical reproduction.

OLD STYLE AMPLIFYING HORN used in the cabinet type Victrola prior to August,
1925.

ORTHOPHONIC TONE CHAMBER embodying the new discovery - "matched impedance"
which permits the smooth uninterrupted flow of sound.  This principle is
employed exclusively in the new Orthophonic Victrola.

Steve