Hi Phono friends,

I'm the proud owner of a second Vivatonal.  I've just bought a 721 and it
has me puzzled.  I also own a 611, the small upright with the oval design in
the door.  This door opens down and then slides in.  The motors on both
these units are very different even though they are only two years apart in
manufacture date.  The 611 came out in '26 and the 721 in 1928.  The motor
in the 611 is reminiscent of earlier Columbias with its nickel area forr the
on/off and speed levers extending beyond the turntable.   The 721's motor
looks more like one from a Sonora or a Pathe with flat topped spring cans
whose lids attach to flanges on the cans with four little screws.  The
weights are cylindrical polished metal with  conical tops.  The winding pawl
is the spring type.   Unfortunately, the Columbia disk machine book does not
give a lot of information about what is inside these machines.  The
motorboard looks untouched, with no extra holes and the crank lines up
perfectly so I don't think the motor has been changed.  Anyone have
information about the VivaTonal machines and their motors?   After a bit of
work rearranging the ball bearings in the tone arm and applying some fresh
lubricants, the arm swings freely, the gooseneck rotates easily without
flopping around and the motor runs smoothly and fairly quietly.  The unit
sounds quite nice and very loud.  The cabinet is a pretty two toned affair
which is looking better after a good cleaning (love the sickly brown
nicotine that comes off on the rags) and application of lacquer thinner to
the top to remove blush and opacity.

Ron L