Can you give any details on the "smallish hill & dale disc" you have this one?

Thanks,
Glenn

________________________________
From: DanKj <ediso...@verizon.net>
To: Antique Phonograph List <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Mon, March 21, 2011 1:14:43 AM
Subject: [Phono-L] Edison drops a title

I was playing some cylinders (bought at a show, and sitting ever since in the
brown grocery bags I used to pack them) and came across one which struck me as
familiar.  "The Jass" One-Step, by Eugene Jaudas' orchestra on Edison BA 3228.
'Hmm... why do I know this tune?  Nobody else recorded such a title ... wait a
second.'  I search for Jaudas online  (there is little to nothing about him,
btw) and hit the same record on online (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVuZXjOk42g ) .  Then I remember:  I have this
on
a smallish hill & dale disc ... it's HONG KONG !

Somewhere between it being rejected for disc but approved for cylinder, then
prepared for manufacture, somebody mistook the description "Jazz One-Step" or
"Jass One-Step" for its title , and dropped HONG KONG completely.  I submitted
comment to that effect, on the ootoob page. I wonder if this has happened with
other tunes, being issued with wrong title (or no title really, in this case)
and not pulled off the shelves.

ps - the 1910 Census had him listed as "Judas", but got his father (I assume)
correct as Jaudas. I submitted a correction. 128 East 86th St, 40 years old in
1910, born in New York, parents born in Germany and arrived in USA 1863.
Married
4 years, no children. Aunt & Mother-in-Law living with them (that must have
been
fun) , parents in the next apartment in same building.  Occupation: Musician.
Industry: Phonograph.   Out of work in 1909: Zero days.

Interesting that his parents were still working at age 71: dad for the NYC
Police Dept, mom a professional midwife.