Could it be a U-S Phonograph recorder?  Their managerial and technical staff
was largely Edison-derived, and Edison sued the company more closely than any
other record company -- might the resemblance of this recorder to Edison
recorders be "familial"?

From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On Behalf Of
Thomas Edison [edisonphonowo...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:56 PM
To: phono L
Subject: [Phono-L] Re What is this.

The first time I viewed this and made my answer, I just saw the top of the
recorder, which Is shaped like the Edison factory recorders, I was viewing it
on a phone, and so now I went back to it, and made the photos bigger, and
observed the other photo of the business end on a regular computer.  It still
is a recorder, I do not think it is an Edison one, although it follows the same
layout of a studio recorder, shape,  the advance ball knob is more star shaped
on this example and Edisons are more nickel and round,  though if it was a
lateral recorder the cutting stylus would be pointed down towards the bottom of
the casing, however in this one, it still in line with the diaphragm.  The
advance ball jewel is missing, and would fit in the hole in the metal spring
bar, this would sit with the horn tube facing up and the star wheel facing up,
to adjust the depth of the cut, this goes on a trunion style affair, where this
bobs up and down on the the disc or cylinder, it looks verti
 cal to me, The round stud is where the cutting stylus is supposed to be
mounted, the affair in the center is  the linkage to the center of the
diaphragm,still a really interesting piece, for sure, and it seems the jewels
are the only thing missing.  And still I hope whomever gets it uses it!

Sincerely Shawn

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from using the
information in any way, including but not limited to disclosure of, copying,
forwarding or acting in reliance on the contents. If you have received this
email by error, please immediately notify me by return email and delete it from
your email system. Thank you.