Abe: I think I happen to live in a good location (New England) for this type
of machine.  Many of the earliest broadcasting stations were in the
Northeast and I believe that once AC-powered radios were practical and on
the market, folks put their battery sets in the attic and forgot about
them.  They were a pain in the butt to power and use.  Some of the combo
machines stayed in the house for the phonograph but today these are often
found without the radio.  I bought two without radios out of barns but found
sets to go into them elsewhere to make a complete set.

The early AC radio-phonograph (Panatrope, Electrola) are fantastic devices
built like tanks, heavy as hell, and fantastically laid out with beautiful
wood, brass or gold hardware, interesting compartments and configurations,
and some even have mechanical devices to change records.  They are
magnificent machines and if I had the money and the space, I would fill a
building with them.  No table-top, Art Deco, Bakelite sets for me!

Nothing like listening to old music and radio shows through a combo machine
with an Orthophonic horn.

GrnMountainBill