"In a free-market economy, things are, by definition, "worth" the highest price
they can command."

This is true under most conditions and would be true if the top 2 bidders knew
what it was.  Some people thought it was an Alva and the triumph is my favorite
machine and I have photos of the Alva so I had no idea what it was.

The ad and the photo makes a huge difference.  A few years ago a standard A
with 100% of the pinstriping GONE sold for $750 with an equally ratty horn
because the seller, an antique dealer said it was the best he had seen in 30
years and it was mint.

I got a blank weight C reproducer for $80 because the photo was poor and you
had to really look to see the weight was blank during the time when they were
selling for over $200.

LightfootIA sold fairly common cylinder records for $30 to $40 with an
excellent ad that told all about the performers and other interesting things.