Hello, it looks like it's been three years since I've been on this list, as I found my old postings in the archives. I've just acquired another phonograph, this one smaller than the German one I already have. This one says His Master's Voice on it, but doesn't appear to have a model number of any kind. It has a cloth-covered horn, and no doors like my other phonograph, so you can't change the volume. The motor is very quiet, and the sound that eminates from the horn is very loud, even with the soft needles I use. The problem is that the speed varies. Even with the speed lever there, it changes from regular to faster than normal. Apart from that, this is a wonderful machine. I've read online, and it appears that the cause of this problem is that the governor is either in need of adjustment, or more likely a complete replacement. I have read that this isn't one of the more expensive jobs, compared to soundbox rebuild or other internal repairs. There are two main reasons why I wouldn't attempt this myself. First, I haven't done this before, and second, since I'm blind, though good with my hands in taking apart autoharps and generally good with tools and such, I wouldn't want to tackle this project on such a machine. I've looked, and it appears that there isn't any shop who deals with this on the west coast at all. Is it all on the east coast? If anyone in Phoenix, either a shop or privately, would tackle such a project, I'd certainly pay for your services. I tried Dynatronics, but they mainly deal with vintage reel to reel and stereos, and the one person they said who did deal with this was in his upper eighties and died, leaving no one at that business who could work on this. I'd really like to get this machine sounding nice, so can anyone help? Wow OK, didn't mean to go on so long for my first post back on this list in a few years, but once my typing fingers start going, they tend not to stop until the thoughts are conveyed.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew, apparently an old soul who loves old technology, at age 32.