The general opinion at the time I owned it was that it was one of a kind made
by somebody who was demonstrating or selling something.
The something may have been the make of cylinder or the song on the cylinder.
It could have been in a music store and used to play cylinders that people
wanted to hear before buying.

The other "something"  that it might have been used for sticks out like the
"sore thumb".   The machinist made the whole piece without using any Edison
parts so why would he just put a standard carriage on it and not make a brass
one?   Could it be that the purpose of  this was to demonstrate some new type
of reproducer?    Did it have a very rare reproducer  that was sold separate
from the machine before I bought it?  I don't know for sure.  Remains a mystery.