From what I know, approx. 80% of Gem production went to the UK, hence they
are much more common over there than here.

The spun aluminum horn was the standard horn for most Gems until the polygonal ones came out. The Edison-Bell tags were only on the machines which had to be sold by them. I think the patents they controlled expired in 1905 so machines after that were sold after that.

Hope this helps.

George

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vinyl Visions" <vinyl.visi...@live.com>
To: <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:26 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Edison GEM Model B 1903

I recently acquired a GEM in fantastic condition - 90-95%, in good working order and correct "C" reproducer. The story that I was told is this: It came from a family who apparently moved from London to North Carolina. It has the typical GEM ID tag, not Edison-Bell, but supposedly has the original horn, which is spun aluminum with a brass collar and is marked "Warranted London Made". Does anyone have any info about these machines that were sold in England? Is this the correct type of horn, or would it have shipped with the tin version, or no horn at all and then fitted with this type?Curt