From: Kristen Sabo [mailto:straypic...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:15 PM
To: presid...@maps-itg.org
Subject: inquiry

Hello. My name is Kristen Sabo. I am researching phonographs that would have
been used in 1916 France. I am looking for a replica to be used for a film
we are shooting in Savannah Ga. Do you know of any one that may rent/ship a
period correct phonograph or replica to us? I can be reached at
straypic...@yahoo.com or 239-216-3505. Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,
Kristen
www.ArtAndAoulDesignInc.com

Kristen,

          Well, May 1917 is when the first US troops entered France during
WWI (bringing their US made phonographs with them), so since we are talking
1916, I would stick with European manufactured machines.  Cylinder sales and
popularity had slowed way down by 1916, so I’d focus on disc (78 rpm)
phonographs.  A very popular French manufacturer was Pathè.  They made
several table top versions as well as floor models. I’ll pass along your
E-Mail to a few collectors that might be able to help you.

          Just because the year is 1916 doesn’t mean that you have to stick
with “New” 1916 model phonographs.  There is no harm in using a phonograph
manufactured in, say, 1910.  This way you can make use of external horn
phonographs with that industrial-age open-works machine look. Below is a
Pathè advertisement from 1916.

Thanks,

Tim