Hi Dan ~

If the grease is very light, like a dab of white lithium grease out of a tube
(not the spray), there's no need to clean it out after assembly (likewise avoid
cleaning sprays which can cause collateral damage to finishes if not precisely
controlled and masked).

The main thing is that the new grease should be light and not stiff (avoid
wheel bearing grease, etc.), so you're not impeding the free lateral movement
of the tone arm as this will cause premature wear to the records and could
affect sound quality.

Naturally you'll have removed every trace of the old grease from the balls,
retainer and races prior to applying the new, which should be done relatively
sparingly.

As Ron noted, they greased these at the factory, so there's no reason to clean
out your fresh application of uncontaminated grease.

Andrew Baron
Santa Fe