I tried making sintered bronze bearings when I started machining, maybe 35
years ago now. Possibly because of less-than-adequate machining technique, I
found that sintered bronze produced greater friction on the mandrel shaft than
did plain brass. I consequently continue to use brass and have the ritual of
oiling to contend with, but do that happily in exchange for a mandrel which
rotates with less effort, important when motors have lost some of their "oomph"
due to worn gear shaft pinions, gear teeth and the like. I may have thought at
the time that oiling the mandrel shaft was part of the cachet of acoustic
phonograph technology. I would enjoy hearing if others with better technique
have a better experience with sintered bronze than I did.

Regards,

Don Mayer