Hi Arvin ~

Great question and I'd be interested in hearing more answers to it from our
astute members.

I usually try a freshly rebuilt reproducer on a variety of records that
includes:
Violin, Soprano voice, bells, at least one unusually strident limited passage
(2 or 3 grooves).  This takes care of the high end. Baritone voice and cello
for the low.  Also, vocal quartet and small instrumental ensembles (to see if
differential details are noticed).

Sharp voices like some moment's of Billy Murray's (acoustic) recordings are
also good to check how well the reproducing apparatus hangs onto the shrill
passages without distorting.

The above mainly accounts for cylinders and acoustic discs, for acoustic-era
machines.  For early electric era I always include vibraphone.  Really anything
that is rich in natural harmonics works well.  Benny Goodman Quartet's Moon
Glow with Hampton's vibraphone (Victor 25398) is good for this, but in general
I try to limit my Orthophonic Credenza to slightly earlier discs.

You can not only check for the clean-ness of the vibraphone, but also how true
the breathy quality of the clarinet comes through.  Another good test for an
Orthophonic or Viva-Tonal is how faithfully they reproduce the bagpipes at the
start of Harry Lauder's electric recording of When I Meet MacKay (Victor 9024).

In general, if I hear an obvious distortion that isn't from record wear, I try
to find a record or two that have a passage in a similar frequency range to
rule out an anomaly.  If the reproducer rattles in the same range on similar
passages, I go back and try to find the cause; imperfect adjustment, the rim of
the diaphragm touching the housing, etc.

Andrew Baron
Santa Fe