The bronzing powders and a binder work well and are authentic to the original.

On 04/17/2013 02:55 PM, Arvin Casas wrote:
Hello All Phonograph Gurus and Aficionados,

I recently picked up a Victor orthophonic portable, the VV-2-55.  It's
structurally and mechanically sound with the outer / inner fabrokoid in good
shape (record pocket, turntable, etc.,), but the rest of the inner case
needs aesthetic attention, most notably the paint on the motor board and
tonearm.

The bronze color on mine has many blackened areas which could be dirt or
just worn off paint.  The yellow brassy-gold paint of the reproducer and
tonearm could use some touch-up as well.

Has any body repainted theirs?  Any recommendations on paints and materials?
I know one site believes these originally had crackle gold paint inside
(which I see in one tiny spot), but I don't think I want to restore it to
that level of "bling."   The old bronze look is fine by me.

I've dabbled in the dry metallic finishes found in art / craft stores,
including the faux silver foils you apply like gold and silver foil (I've
used it as make-do chrome on screw heads).  They also make a dry powder you
can mix with a liquid or brush on dry and seal.  I don't know if that would
be a viable option vs regular old metallic paints.

Any cleaning or painting recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,

Arvin