Beware the current listing of a branded case Gem by a California seller.  The
machine first appeared in a listing showing the serial number to be over 105000
which meant it was a later Gem A.  It has a Model C Reproducer in the late
larger diameter carriage that would be too large for the special Gem Automatic
Speaker a branded Gem should have.  Even his patent date of 1903 is wrong for a
branded case Gem since the machine appeared for a short duration following the
caseless Gem up to the improved Gem A with the Model B Reproducer before the
end of 1901.  I told the seller that the branded case Gem appeared around 17000
and was gone by 37000.

So...    I gently tell the guy the lid was a branded case Gem one put onto a
later A that should have the banner transfer decal and he comes back with
attitude and a claim the machine had a serial around 27000.  The photo of the
patent plate with the higher serial number has been removed from the listing.
Starting bid is just under one kilobuck for this bargain.  Bid at your own risk
and I hope some poor neophyte doesn't bite.

Did the guy from Pittsburgh move to California?  His last message to me was:
I am getting tired of all the advises by so called "EXPERTS"

Regards to all on the list,
Al