Hello from hot Phoenix. I'm wondering if there are any modern 78s that have
been produced any time recently? The only one I ever heard of was the one
produced in the 70s by R. Crumb, of novelty songs. I bought the three pieces
that comprise a modern cartridge for my Stanton turntable, so that my existing
78s play as well as they can for my ability to transfer them digitally. This
ability made me think of my question. I know that some analog manufacturers,
especially of the Bluenote label, have been producing lps that are the size of
33s but actually play at 45 speed. Perhaps the reason they don't consider 78
speed is because you need to use a wider needle. I've never understood why the
manufacturers of those USB turntables don't get a double stylus so that you
don't wreck your 78s with a 33 needle, but that's a different subject. Anyhow,
any thoughts about my original question?
Matthew