From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Steven Medved
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:16 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Edison Model R Reproducer

Hello Tom,

Al covered it very well.  I rebuilt two R reproducers, one R that was still
air tight and one I replaced the gaskets on.  I rotated both styli and
restored mechanical freedom to all the parts.  The difference in sound was
negligible between them.

There are 6 different H bars, the R has two different ones, but the R never
came with the one that has the thin tail.  The earliest H bar was made to
swivel in shoulders that do not move.  I have not seen one in an early H but
Model L serial number 79 came with a gold plated one.  This Model L has the
flat H weight and the very first of the 6 different large diaphragms.

On the R I suggest replacing the link with .020 wire, .022 would be even
better.

When the R was new it fit the shoe adaptor like an iron and brass O fits a
carriage.  It was held in place with the three screws.  As the pot metal
would swell over the years it becomes a press fit.  Sadly most R and S
reproducers have large air leaks.  The slot in the R and S adapter was put
there so you could adjust the compression ring tightness.  Again thanks to
Al and Ron D.

New gaskets on an Edison reproducer that does not have an air leak does not
make much of a difference in sound.  Replacing gaskets is not a rebuild.

I restored a Diamond A that had new gaskets, is sounded horrible.  The
stylus was broken, the stylus bar was gummed up and did not move freely, the
hinge block was gummed up and did not move freely.  The diaphragm was
warped.  Each problem will reduce sound quality.

I call the people that do this work Industrial Rebuilders.  They consider
replacing gaskets a rebuild and have no sound test.  I will share my rebuild
notes with anyone that asks.  Even on the C reproducer I will make sure the
stylus bar and hinge block moves freely.

An Exhibition or No 2: soft gaskets and a diaphragm that has a high ring is
important.  You can even ring a copper diaphragm, the ones with a dull sound
do not sound good.  Ron D told me about doing this with Edison copper
diaphragms and it works on mica as well.  When you spin a coin and it drops
it rings.

Steve

> To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
> From: clockworkh...@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 02:48:25 -0400
> Subject: [Phono-L] Edison Model R Reproducer
>

> Hi Tom:
>
> I own 5 Model R Reproducers and have never seen a press fit.  They all
have had the three screws.  I guess we will have to wait for Steve Medved to
chime in with his findings.

> As for the low volume, the reproducer should be taken apart and serviced.
Sometimes the diaphragm will have dirt and caked in grime that won't let it
vibrate as designed.  New gaskets for a tight seal might help.  And I would
be sure the 4 minute sapphire is good with a fresh face down.  A worn stylus
can give lousy sound.  The linkage and stylus bar fulcrum may need work too.
Also, be sure the stylus bar is the correct one for this reproducer.  There
are many Edison Reproducers that were assembled by kitchen table technicians
showing up on eBay.  Every time I think I have seen it all, something new
comes along.