I still want a cement Edison cylinder phonograph  !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Edison_phonograph_1912.jpg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Baron" <a...@popyrus.com>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Electric pen

Hi John ~

A friend sent me this link this morning and I watched the video. This may sound harsh (for me), but I found it to be typically inaccurate media-mill fodder, with a catchy segment title to attract a big audience. Seems they're also catering to the contingent that's hungry to pounce on an Edison failure, perhaps?

In reality, wasn't the electric pen Edison's first successful mass-produced product; i.e., mass produced by Edison's own shops and marketed in America and Europe, keeping his first factory quite occupied during its brief heyday? While we know that although the apparatus was hard to maintain by untrained office staff, conceptually the idea was successful enough to attract lumber man A. B. Dick, who with the much simplified "Edison's Mimeograph" put himself on the map as a major office machine and supplies manufacturer.

Certainly it is true that the motorized pen was the ideal basis for the tattoo stylus (or whatever the right word might be).

A more accurate brief account than the tv.yahoo video:
http://edison.rutgers.edu/pen.htm

NOW FOR ACCURACY IN REPORTING
Edison's "worst invention" in terms of unsuccessful marketing, must have been his Electric Vote Recorder, his first issued patent unless I got this from a flawed history book. None were manufactured beyond the prototype.

Andrew Baron
Santa Fe