From:  Antique Phonograph List <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Date:  Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:08 PM
To:  "phono-l@oldcrank.org" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Subject:  [Phono-L] Columbia Viva-Tonal model 710

I've wanted to have a nice Columbia Viva-Tonal phonograph for a long time,
and now I have the opportunity to buy a model 710. Not being famailiar with
these -- I've never actually seen one in person -- I'm wondering what kind
of cosmetic work this will need. It seems the green trim paint is faded in
some places, and largely gone in others (note front center above the speaker
grille in the second photo). The nickel plating on the tone arm and
reproducer appears to be heavily oxidized, as well. I don't know what other
cosmetic or mechanical issues it may have; are there common known issues
with this model, and with Viva-Tonals in general? Do the horns usually need
to be re-sealed? Are the reproducers pot metal? I've read these don't have a
stop; does that mean it doesn't have an automatic stop, or (forgive me) any
stop at all? How do these machines sound, in general? (Personally, I don't
think Grafonolas sound very good.) Finally, the seller says he won't take
any less than $225 for it; I know value is in the eye of the beholder, but
does this seem reasonable to you, or is it way out of line?