On Wednesday 21 October 2009, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Maybe you all remember Bundler[1] that was pretty nifty. I just stumbled
> again on PMVS2[2] they have released their software now under the GPL.

So, to clear this up, this PMVS software appears to be supplemental to bundler. 
It comes into the workflow after bundler. 

While bundler will take images and estimate their relative camera orientations, 
beyond that it will just create a rather sparse point cloud of the subjects. 
The points correspond to where matching features in images were found.

This PMVS software takes the rest of the information from those photos and uses 
it to fill in the blanks and create much denser point clouds.

I would personally say that bundler is the more relevant package for mapping, 
as we are ( ok- I am ) mainly concerned with geometries rather than surface 
details, and the sparse point clouds should be good enough for that. But it is 
great to see this sort of stuff being GPL'd.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.


robert.

_______________________________________________
Photos mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/photos

Reply via email to