Hi John and other members,

As an enthusiastic hiker/mountaineer I have been thinking how nice would it be to have pictures of guideposts/signs available on the map. That would make the planning easier as guideposts usually say exact walking time or at least distance. This thinking lead me to discover openstreetview project.

I would like to discuss possible extensions to openstreetview.

1) Improve github issue 14 - "Better distribution on thumbnails on the map" - something like offered by https://github.com/danzel/Leaflet.markercluster would be the goal.

2) Create possibility to categorize/tag pictures on openstreetview and allow filtering only for pictures from category/subcategory such as "hiking guideposts".

I can on average volunteer two evenings per week to help with development. I did quite some PHP/SQL development, so I know the basics. I would still need to get into Rails, but that should not be so difficult.

Two main questions I have are:

1) Is database dump publicly available. Without real data it would be very difficult to do anything especially for issue 14.

2) How much time does John has for reviewing commits and associated discussion. I would start with minor changes and slowly continue towards the bigger one.

Happy new year,
Radek

_______________________________________________
Photos mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/photos

Reply via email to