On Thursday, February 21, 2013, Nick Whitelegg wrote: > Hi, > > As you might remember I presented a project of mine entitled > "OpenTrailView" in Girona back in 2010. The idea was to produce a Google > StreetView-like experience for outdoor users such as walkers. > > Unfortunately the project has become somewhat dead-in-the-water, mostly > due to the large time investment in producing individual panoramas (5 mins > or so to take the panorama then perhaps 20 or more to do the stitching, > cropping etc to upload to the site). > > I'd like to get this project going again at some point but the sheer > effort of creating panoramas would discourage input I suspect. So does > anyone have opinions on alternative ways of creating panoramas? > > A bit of research suggests one-shot lenses are available but reviews on > the web regarding their quality are generally poor. Does anyone have any > opinions on ths? >
While not perfect, I've found that smartphone apps like Microsoft Photosynth produce surprisingly good panoramas with almost no effort. Not sure which apps let you export the results in a standard format though. While resulting images suffer the usual problems with camera phones, particularly in low light, I think it's the only way you can get a large number of people to contribute panoramas. Other solutions are expensive, time consuming, and/or difficult. Josh >
_______________________________________________ Photos mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/photos
