The  the colon has special meaning.

Look up the OCI man page, specifically - look up the  OCIBindByName
function.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.oci8.php

It may give you a hint for the use of the colon and it's use in positioning
bound variables.
--
Without knowing your table structure and how you are using rowid, I cannot
guess what are trying to do.

It is a good idea to avoid using rowid for updating records.  Instead, use a
primary key column containing a sequence generated value for record
identification.

Good luck,
-Joe
"Sven Voigt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
01022417435802.00314@photon">news:01022417435802.00314@photon...
On Friday 23 February 2001 17:03, you wrote:
> I suppose the authors never concieved a replacement parameter for select
>
> specification.
>
> try:
> > $sql =3D "select foo, bar, rid from masterdata WHERE rid=3D:rid"
>
> You need to loose the colon ":" or place it to the right of a where cla
> use.

Sorry to bother this list again, but I don't get the point... :-(

I need the rowid for later updates by a user form. So how can I issue a
select clause with 'WHERE rid=3D:rid'? Don't I need this for the *update*
clause???

This is what I thought of:
1.) select foo, bar, rid from masterdata
2.) let user select data set to update with 'update.php?rowid=ROWID'
3.) write changes to database: update foo, bar values (FOO, BAR) where
rowid=ROWID'

And what's about that colon? Is there any special meaning in PHP?

I'd highly appreciate your help/answer! Many thanks in advance
--
Sven Voigt, Mainz, Germany
http://www.ps90.de

Tower: "Mission 123, do you have problems?"
Pilot: "I think, I have lost my compass."
Tower: "Judging the way you are flying, you lost the whole instrument
panel!"