Welcome new person!

Most people who ask this question generally get pointed in the
direction of Julie C. Meloni's book "PHP Fast & Easy Web Development"

It goes from the ABSOLUTE basics through to explaining [MySQL] database
connectivity and sql statements. I used it and highly reccommend it. I
also has a good Appendix of MySQL/PHP functionality + onlineplaces to
visit for extra help.

Julie's website is thickbook.com and look for the section for the book
(above).

ISBN: 0-7615-3055-X
Price US$24.99
Can$ 37.95
GBP£18.99

Or just look for the above title on amazon.com

HTH :)

Russ

         "Believe nothing - consider everything"

  Russ Michell