David,
You have my deepest sympathy.

<< RANT MODE ON >>
You've  already gotten a useful answer, but as far as your ISP is concerned:

THE ROTTERS!!  They don't have to do ANYTHING to support MySQL except:
         1. Set up an empty database
         2. Assign it a username/password
         and, just possibly
         3. Provide the most elemental of scripts so you can do a bulk
load, thereby creating your tables.

For that maybe a $50 one-time charge. $50 per month, never!

Publish  their name and shame them!!

<< RANT MODE OFF >>

Best regards - Miles Thompson