On 16 Mar 2001, at 10:53, Vanstaen Laurent wrote:

> Hi all,
>    Do you know if the php "crypt" function really works like the unix one ??
> I mean, when I compare my password on my system (crypted with unix crypt) and my
> password crypted with php crypt, it's not the same. And the php crypt doesn't
> send twice the same answer.

Because if you don't specify the salt, this will be randomly selected
each time you call the function, so it will give different results each
time.
As for the system password, keep in mind that different systems
use different crypting algorithms; I guess that the right thing to do
is carefully reading of both php's crypt manpage that the system's
one.

HTH, bye

Fabrizio Ermini               Alternate E-mail:
C.so Umberto, 7               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
loc. Meleto Valdarno          Mail on GSM: (keep it short!)
52020 Cavriglia (AR)          [EMAIL PROTECTED]