i've had similar problems with mysql.

postgres seems happy with having quotes around data pulled back as
associative arrays

like $data = $result["userid"];

and from using mysql it sometimes likes it that way and sometimes without.

the syntax for the string is right as long as the string follows the same
conventions throughout. like:

$query ="select date from date-table where date like '".$date."'";

if primaryexpertise is text does it need the extra ' ?

i think this may be clodser to the truth as %primaryexpertise% would return
a hit if there were extra chars at the front and end of primaryexpertise

Steve